ABOUT, Keswick Alhambra Cinema
- Standard tickets: £8 (includes 50p booking fee)
- Under 24s and Friends of the Alhambra (Members): £6 (includes 50p booking fee)
- Family (2 Adults, 2 Children / 1 Adult, 3 children under 15) £22.50
- Special Events: theatre, ballet, opera and music - £16.00; FRIEND £14 , under 24 £10
- One-off films/exhibitions: individually priced
- Disability concession, no charge for 1 carer with valid CEA
- 10% discount for groups of 20+ (email or call to book)
- Private parties by arrangement (email or call to discuss)
- Ourscreen member (set up your own screening, public or private)
- Impromptu rainy-day film screenings for groups can be arranged (email or call!)
Tel: 017687 72195 (leave a message, we will get back to you).
FRIENDS OF THE ALHAMBRA - MEMBERSHIP
Become a Friend of the Alhambra for £20 a year and enjoy:
- two complimentary tickets for a standard film (balcony or stalls)
- £2 off ALL tickets - includes live-streamed & special events
Purchase your membership online here, or at the box office in person (requires an email, and for you to set up an account with a password)
When you are logged in as a member, you will see the option to purchase your two complimentary screenings when you go to book the tickets.
Anyone on pension or universal credit can have a Friend card for free (doesn't include complimentary tickets, just the Friend card for your £2 discount)
PRIVATE RENTAL/VENUE HIRE
Email us on email@example.com or call 07941571064 to discuss your requirements: with at least 3 weeks notice you can rent out either the large or small screen, or just reserve the balcony for your group (we'll sell stalls tickets to the public).
Venue hire starts at £7 per head, with minimum charge as follows, plus an additional fee which depends on how much we have to pay to licence the film you choose *:
£100 for 29-seater Screen 2 (an additional £7 per extra person if you have more than 14 people coming - max 28)
£200 for exclusive use of the balcony (an additional £7 per extra person if you have more than 28 people coming - max 74)
£300 for hire of the whole of the main auditorium, balcony and stalls (an additional £6 per extra person over 50 people, and £5 per head over 100 people - max 170)
For under 16s/children's parties, the price includes popcorn and squash.
* The cost of film licences is complicated! For old/archive films, there is a minimum licencing fee, generally £80-130 per single screening. For more recent films, we may have to pay £130 to get in a copy of the film, but we might be willing to absorb some of that cost if we can offset it by screening to public audiences as well that week. For other current films, we might have to pay the distributor 60% of takings (for a very recent film), or as little as 25% - in which case we might be able absorb that fee within your hire cost, especially if your numbers are higher.
KESWICK FILM CLUB
The Alhambra hosts the Keswick Film Club every Sunday evening from September to March, screening the best of British and World cinema. The Club runs the Keswick Film Festival, which takes place in Feb/March each year.
Give an experience rather than more stuff! Choose from a range of gift vouchers for our cinema: tickets for two, tickets with spending money, or monetary vouchers. For those who don't like to order (or receive) electronically, we can also issue gift vouchers & cards at the box office.
See our history page for a full history of our cinema, including photos and films - built in 1913, the Keswick Alhambra is one of very few UK picture houses that has been in continuous operation for over 100 years.
- Open seven days a week
- Gorgeously refurbished
- Impeccable customer service
- Audio induction loop, wheelchair access & accessible toilet
- Screen 1 capacity 170: (92 in the stalls downstairs, 78 in the balcony upstairs), Screen 2 29 seats
- Screen 1: Barco Digital Projector and Dolby Processor: an incredibly sharp, bright picture with magnificent colour rendition, and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. Screen 2:
PARENT & BABY / RELAXED SCREENINGS
Pre covid we held regular screenings where we keep the lights on low for visibility, sound a bit lower than usual, and where the sound of infants or other more noisy or restless or jiggly cinema patrons is to be expected (it's a 'no-tutting' environment!) - we hope to revive these. All are welcome at these screenings - head for the balcony at stalls prices if you are not accompanied by an infant. Under 24 months free. (For 15 cert films where we have a special licence from the Council, only babies under 12 months allowed). To find out what is on, and help us select films, join our Keswick Alhambra Parents & Babies FB Group.
The nearest car parks to the Alhambra are Central and Bell's, on either side of the market square. For more information on parking in Keswick, see keswick.org/visitor-information/car-parks.
We have an induction audio loop, step-free entrance from the pavement through to the stalls, and ample space for mobility vehicles and wheelchairs in the stalls, with an accessible toilet and baby-change. The balcony can only be accessed by stairs: about 20 wide, solid steps, with a good handrail.
MAKE A DONATION
Many of our friends and supporters have made donations to help us restore and renovate our beautiful building. If you'd like to contribute, you can make a donation via our Fix the Facade crowdfunder page (until mid/late November 2021). Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to make a significant donation (£100 or so), and join the list of names of our supporters on our inscription wall.
THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
The financial impact of coronavirus precautions on our business (including lockdown-mandated closures 17 March - 23 July, 5 Nov-2 Dec 2020 and 31 Dec-17 May 2021) has been offset by many avenues of government assistance: in addition to small business grant schemes, the job retention scheme, and the government-backed bounce-back loan, we have also benefited from the British Film Institute Film Audience Network Covid-19 Resilience Fund, awarding funds from the National Lottery, and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport Culture Recovery Fund for Independent Cinema, also administered by the British Film Institute. Many thanks to the BFI!