ABOUT, Keswick Alhambra Cinema
- Tickets: £9 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Members and Supporters of the Alhambra: £6 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Under 24s: £6 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Family (2 Adults, plus 2 Under 16s / 1 Adult plus 3 Under 16s) Film Tickets £25.00 (plus 50p online booking fee) for U, PG, 12A films.
Saturday Kids Club
- £6 (under 15s) and can each bring one adult in for free
Special Events (such as theatre, ballet, opera and live music)
- Tickets £17 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Members £14 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Supporters £14 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Under 24's £10 (plus 50p online booking fee)
- One-off films, exhibitions or events: individually priced (plus 50p online booking fee)
- Disability concession, no charge for 1 carer with valid CEA
- Private hire and parties by arrangement: (please email or call to discuss)
Tel: 017687 72195 (leave a message, we will get back to you).
PRIVATE RENTAL/VENUE HIRE
Email us on email@example.com or call 07941571064 to discuss your requirements: with at least 3 weeks notice you can rent out either the large or small screen, or just reserve the balcony of the large screen for your group (we'll sell the stalls tickets to the public).
Venue hire is £7 per person plus the fee* to licence the film you chose
and subject to a minimum charge of:
£100 for 29-seater Screen 2 (max 28 seats plus one wheelchair space)
£200 for exclusive use of the balcony (max 74 seats)
£300 for hire of the whole of the main auditorium, both balcony and stalls (max 174 seats plus one wheelchair space)
For under 16s/children's parties the price includes a popcorn or sweets plus a Fruit Shoot or canned soft drink.
* The cost of film licences is complicated! For old/archive films, there is a minimum licencing fee, typically £80-130 per single screening. For more recent films, we may have to pay £130 to get in a copy of the film, but we might be willing to absorb some of that cost if we can offset it by screening to public audiences as well that week. For films that we are showing anyway the same week as your event, we might be able to absorb some or all of the licence fee. We can discuss options for films and licence costs with you.
KESWICK FILM CLUB
The Alhambra hosts the Keswick Film Club every Sunday evening from September to March, screening the best of British and World cinema. Film Club members and Alhambra Friends get discounted tcikets, but you don't have to be a member and anyone is welcome to the screenings. The Film Club runs the Keswick Film Festival, which takes place in Feb/March each year.
Give an experience rather than more stuff!
Gift vouchers are available in £10, £20, £30, £40 and £50 amounts and can be used for tickets and/or refreshements over multiple occasions.
See our history page for a full history of our cinema, including photos and films - built in 1913, the Keswick Alhambra is one of very few UK picture houses that has been in continuous operation for over 100 years.
- Open seven days a week
- Gorgeously refurbished
- Friendly customer service, staff knowledgable about films
- Audio induction system for soundtrack and/or audio description (please ask for a receiver at the kiosk)
- Wheelchair access to both screens and accessible toilet facilities
- Screen 1 capacity 175 seats (99 seats in the stalls downstairs plus one wheelchair, 75 in the balcony upstairs)
- Screen 2 capacity 28 seats plus space for one wheelchair
- Projector and Sound Equipment: Screen 1 has a Barco Digital Projector and Dolby Processor giving an incredibly sharp, bright picture with magnificent colour rendition, and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. Screen 2 has a Barco Laser Projector and Processor with Dolby Digital 7.1 Surround Sound.
PARENT & BABY / RELAXED SCREENINGS
Pre covid we held regular screenings where we keep the lights on low for visibility, sound a bit lower than usual, and where the sound of infants or other more noisy or restless or jiggly cinema patrons is only to be expected by everyone (i.e. it's a 'no-tutting' environment). We hope to revive these in 2022. All are welcome at these screenings - head upstairs to the balcony if you are not accompanied by an infant. Under 24 months free. (For 15 cert films where we have a special licence from the Council, only babies under 12 months allowed). To find out what is on, and help us select films, join our Keswick Alhambra Parents & Babies FB Group.
The nearest public car parks to the Alhambra are the Central and Bell's Car Parks, on either side of the market square and signed from the roads. There is free on street parking in the streets above the cinema, some of which is disc coontrolled (max 1 or 2 hours). For more information on parking in Keswick, see keswick.org/visitor-information/car-parks.
We have several induction audio headphones and/or individual loops to tune your hearing aid into (unfortunately these only function with films, they do not work for live, satellite-streamed events) - ask for them at the box office. They can be used for audio, audio description, or both.
The cinema has step-free entrance from the pavement through to Screen 2 and the stalls of Screen 1, where there ample space for a wheelchair and/or mobility scooter. The balcony can only be accessed by stairs; there are about 20 wide, solid steps and handrails.
There are disabled and ambulant-disabled toilet facilities on the ground floor.
MAKE A DONATION
Many of our friends and supporters have kindly made donations to help us restore and maintain our beautiful building, and there's always something being worked on to keep the fabric of the building sound. If you'd like to contribute we would be grateful to hear from you. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in making a significant donation (£100 or so) and to join the list of supporters who've helped us over the years and whose names are celebrated inside the cinema.
THANKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
The financial impact of coronavirus precautions on our business (including lockdown-mandated closures 17 March - 23 July, 5 Nov-2 Dec 2020 and 31 Dec-17 May 2021) has been offset by many avenues of government assistance: in addition to small business grant schemes, the job retention scheme, and the government-backed bounce-back loan, we have also benefited from the British Film Institute Film Audience Network Covid-19 Resilience Fund, awarding funds from the National Lottery, and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport's Culture Recovery Fund for Independent Cinema, also administered by the British Film Institute. Many thanks to the BFI who have administered the scheme and provided invaluable help during the crisis.